Saturday, July 30 at 11 a.m. marked the unveiling of only the second Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in Hopkins County. Mayor John Sellers noted this as part of his comments at the ceremony held on the front lawn of the historic home located at 333 College Street.
The ceremony included pledges led by Jimmie Henslee, an invocation led by Mayor Pro-Tem Emily Glass, and an unveiling and reading of the inscription by Constance McGill. During Mayor Sellers’ comments he explained the difference between a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (RTHL) and other types of historical markers, both state and federal. He also gave the background of the house, the location and the Ashcroft family.
During the program Mayor Sellers, who is also chair of the marker committee, mentioned that the Foscue house stood on the site of the Ashcroft house. The Ashcrofts moved in in December 1939. Sellers mentioned that wood and other materials from the Foscue home were used in 7 other houses in Sulphur Springs. Maybe John will share his secrets!
Through the years, the home has been the location of many parties, club meetings, and distinguished guests. Football great Forrest Gregg lived above the garage during his high school days. The home featured Zuber wallpaper, Waterford chandeliers, and the rarest of rare East Texas appointments, a basement. But of course, it all started as a home for the very distinguished Ashcroft family.
It was a perfect summer day for the festivities, as a small breeze kept the guests comfortable under the large trees.
Members of the Ashcroft family, as well as the current owners of the home, the Monzingos, were on hand for the presentation.
Following the ceremony, refreshments and mementos of the home were on display for the crowd to enjoy.